Before using the product for your entire project, try it out on a small, hidden area of the surface you'll be working on. This will let you see how it looks and if it's the right fit for your project.
- Clean: The surface must be entirely free from dust, dirt, oil, grease, paints, glues, non-water-based acrylic sealers, curing agents, efflorescence, chemical contaminants, rust, algae, mildew, and other materials that could prevent proper bonding.
- Cured: Ensure the concrete or overlay is fully cured before application. It's recommended that cement-based products cure for at least 28 days for optimal results.
- Temperature: For best results, apply AcquaSeal™ in temperatures ranging from 60°F (15°C) to 95°F (35°C).
- Sound: Only apply to cement-based products that are not flaking or spalling. The substrate must be structurally sound. For surfaces showing signs of delamination, use diamond grinding, shot blasting, or similar mechanical methods for removal.
- Profiled: Perform an absorption test to check if the concrete is ready for staining. Pour water onto the concrete surface and wait for 3-5 minutes. If the water is not absorbed, the surface will need to be cleaned and etched with CitrusEtch™ to open the pores of the concrete. Detailed instructions can be found in the CitrusEtch™ Technical Data Sheet. If the concrete absorbs the water, it is ready for AcquaSeal™ application.
Work Area Planning: Divide the work area into manageable sections, using natural breaks like walls and joints. Control wet edges to reduce overlap marks.
- Remove all filters from the pump-up sprayer to prevent clogging.
- Apply the product in a circular motion to ensure even coverage. It is important to apply thin layers to avoid puddling and ensure uniform drying.
- Start and stop spraying into a bucket or off the work area to prevent drips. Back roll afterwards to smooth out any puddles or overlaps, maintaining a thin, even layer.
- Use a ⅜” nap roller. Allow the roller's weight to apply the product without adding extra pressure, which could cause streaks and uneven coverage. Focus on applying thin, consistent layers.
- Before adding more product to the paint tray, shake the bottle for even consistency.
Drying and Recoating:
- Dry Time Between Coats: Wait 6 to 12 hours, depending on environmental conditions.
- Testing Dryness: To check if the surface is ready for the next coat, press it with a thumbnail. If the surface doesn't dent or scratch, it is sufficiently dry for recoating.
- Coat Application: Ensure the first coat is thoroughly dry before applying a second thin coat. The emphasis on thin coats is crucial for achieving the best finish and performance.
- Recommended Coats: Two thin coats are advised for best performance and durability.
- Application Caution: To prevent bubbling, hazing, and other imperfections, it is essential to apply the product in thin coats rather than heavy applications.
- Foot Traffic: Keep the area free from foot traffic for at least 24 hours to allow the topcoat to properly set.
- Vehicle Traffic: Avoid vehicle traffic for 48-72 hours to ensure the sealer fully cures and offers maximum protection.
- Surface Compatibility: AcquaSeal™ may experience adhesion challenges when applied to hard-troweled (machine-smoothed) surfaces or surfaces whose pores are smaller than the sealer's particles. This can result in the sealer drying without proper adhesion.
- Avoid Liquid Contact During Curing: Prevent any liquids, including sweat, from coming into contact with the uncured coating, as this can affect both the curing process and the quality of the finish.
- Wear and Tear: As with all water-based acrylic sealers, AcquaSeal™ is subject to surface wear. Its longevity and durability are contingent upon proper application to a suitably prepared surface, and will also depend on the volume and type of traffic.
Interior Surfaces: Use ProWax Polish™ as a topcoat to improve the durability and finish of indoor surfaces.
Estimated coverage is around 200 square feet per gallon, varying with surface conditions and application methods.
For cleaning tools and equipment after using AcquaSeal™, use ProClean Degreaser™ and warm water.
Dispose of unused product according to local environmental or hazardous waste regulations.
Shelf Life and Storage
Use AcquaSeal™ within one year of purchase and store it in a cool, indoor location away from sunlight and heat.
- Exterior Surfaces: Regularly inspect sealed areas for signs of thinning or wear due to foot or vehicular traffic. Reapply the sealer as needed to maintain protection and appearance.
- Interior Surfaces: Regularly examine surfaces coated with ProWax Polish™ for wear or thinning, especially in high-traffic areas. Reapply the coating as necessary to preserve the surface's integrity and aesthetics.
Safety & Precautions
CAUTION: Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not take internally. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water. In case of skin contact, flush thoroughly with water. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call physician immediately. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
AcquaSeal™ is guaranteed for uniform quality within manufacturing tolerances. No warranty is provided for its application effects. Liability for defects is limited to refunding the purchase price. Users bear all other risks and liabilities. For inquiries, contact Direct Colors customer service.