Step 1: Preparation
- Cover areas at risk of over-spray with plastic drop cloth.
- Newly poured concrete must cure for 30 days before application.
- For existing concrete:
- Remove paint or previously applied sealer using Soy Gel Stripper.
- Remove carpet glue or other adhesives using Bean-E-Doo® Mastic Remover.
- Remove any oils, dirt, debris, Soy Gel Stripper, or Bean-E-Doo® Mastic Remover using scrub brush and ProClean Degreaser™.
- Verify absorption by pouring a cup of water in various areas. If not absorbed within five minutes, etch the surface with CitrusEtch™, then neutralize surface with ProClean Neutralizer™ and rinse thoroughly.
- Allow the concrete to thoroughly dry before application.
Step 2: Application
Coverage rate is approximately 200 square feet per gallon. Coverage rates may vary based on concrete texture, surface porosity, and application method.
NOTE: Only apply Portico™ Concrete Paver Stain when surface temperature is between 40 °F (4 °C) and 95 °F (35 °C).
CAUTION: Portico™ is flammable, harmful if swallowed, or inhaled. Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Store and use with adequate ventilation, allowing airflow to disperse vapors. Before applying Portico™, open windows and doors and extinguish all open flames such as gas appliance pilot lights, candles, etc. Do not smoke, use a lighter or matches, or anything that could cause a potential spark.
- Remove all filters from pump-up sprayer.
- Shake Portico™ well before pouring into sprayer.
- Begin spraying at a far corner to maintain a clear path to exit.
- Spray a saturating coat of Portico™ on surface in slightly circular motions with irregular overlaps.
- Shake sprayer tank from side to side often to prevent color from settling.
- Allow to thoroughly dry for a minimum of eight hours before applying sealer.
Step 3: Seal & Protect Finish
- Apply two thin coats of sealer (AcquaSeal™ Water-Based Acrylic Sealer or EasySeal™ Solvent-Based Acrylic Sealer).
- For additional application instructions, see AcquaSeal™ and EasySeal™ How-To Guides. Pro Tips:
- To avoid droplets dripping onto surface: before releasing sprayer trigger, immediately place tip in a bucket.
- Clean tools and supplies with odorless mineral spirits.
- Protect finish every two years or as needed, using either AcquaSeal™ or EasySeal™.
- For additional application instructions, see AcquaSeal™ and EasySeal™ How-To Guides.
Tools & Supplies:
- Pump-up sprayer
- Plastic drop cloth
- Scrub brush
- Spiked shoes (if using CitrusEtch™)
Disclaimer: Direct Colors does not warranty or guarantee results (outcomes). Concrete variations or improper application may cause unintended results. Test product on an inconspicuous or small area and allow to fully cure to ensure compatibility and desired result.