Before using the product for your entire project, try it out on a small, hidden area of the surface you'll be working on. This will let you see how it looks and if it's the right fit for your project.
CitrusEtch™ must be diluted with water before application. The dilution rate varies by packet size:
|Mix with 1 quart (0.95 liters) of water
|Mix with 1 gallon (3.79 liters) of water
|Mix with 5 gallons (18.93 liters) of water
- Cleaning: Ensure the concrete surface is free of oil, grease, contaminants, sealers, and curing compounds. A clean surface is critical for effective etching.
- Pre-Test: Conduct a small area test to determine the appropriate concentration and dwell time, typically 15-20 minutes, adjusting for specific surface conditions.
Etching Solution Application:
- Sprayer Setup: Remove filters from an all-plastic pump-up sprayer and fill with the CitrusEtch™ solution at the specified dilution rate.
- Application: Apply the solution evenly across the surface, avoiding pooling and ensuring the surface does not dry during the application. Maintain the solution on the surface for a dwell time of 15 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Wear spiked shoes to prevent shoe prints etched into concrete.
Neutralization and Cleanup:
- Neutralization: Post-etching, prepare and apply ProClean Neutralizer™ using a similar sprayer setup. Ensure even coverage and maintain wetness for 15 minutes.
- Scrubbing: Manually scrub the treated area or use a low-speed floor buffer with a brush attachment for residue removal.
- Residue Removal: Employ a wet-dry vacuum for optimal residue removal. A cotton mop is an alternative but less effective.
- Rinsing: Thoroughly rinse the surface multiple times to remove any lingering solution, preventing white powdery residue, which could hinder the adhesion of future coatings.
- Texture Check: After you neutralize and rinse, the right surface should feel a bit rough, like very fine sandpaper. If it still feels smooth, doesn't soak up water in 3 to 5 minutes, or if it seems rough only because of a powdery coating, you need to do the etching, neutralizing, and rinsing steps again.
Concrete Etching Tips
- Prevent Splashes: Cover everything you don't want etched with plastic sheets.
- Maintain Wetness: Do not let CitrusEtch™ dry on the surface during etching. If the solution dries, it can leave behind a stubborn residue that requires extensive scrubbing to remove. Keep the area moist throughout the etching process.
- Dry the Floor Well: The floor must be dry before you seal it. Fans can speed up drying. The surface might look dry, but moisture can still be in the concrete and affect the sealer.
- Correcting Shoe Prints: In case shoe prints get etched into the concrete, they can be removed by renting a grinder to smooth out the affected areas. Removing shoe prints etched into concrete is challenging. We strongly advise wearing spiked shoes to avoid this issue.
Estimated coverage is around 200 square feet per gallon of solution, varying with surface conditions and application methods.
For cleaning tools and equipment use ProClean Neutralizer™ solution.
Dispose of unused product according to local environmental or hazardous waste regulations.
Shelf Life and Storage
Store CitrusEtch™ in a cool, dry place. If unopened and stored properly, its shelf life is approximately 3 years. Avoid extreme conditions.
Safety & Precautions
CAUTION: EYE IRRITANT. Do not swallow. Do not get in eyes. Do not get on skin or clothing. Do not breathe fumes. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Wear safety glasses and chemical resistant gloves.
Contains: Citric acid.
FIRST AID TREATMENT: If swallowed, call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting. If in eyes, rinse with water for 15 minutes. If on skin, rinse well with water. If breathed in, move person into fresh air.
CitrusEtch™ is guaranteed for uniform quality within manufacturing tolerances. No warranty is provided for its application effects. Liability for defects is limited to refunding the purchase price. Users bear all other risks and liabilities. For inquiries, contact Direct Colors customer service.