| Sometimes, you just need to try before you buy. With Direct Colors’ DIY Portico™ Stain Trial Kits, you can do just that. Try your stain in different shades, with different sealer finishes, and on different paver surfaces around your home to find the best fit for your concrete coloring project. Click here for the Portico Color Chart Gallery |
Trial Kit Includes
- Select up to 3 different colors out of 28 colors (4 oz each)
- Select up to 1 sealer finish (4 oz each)
- Foam Application Brushes (Qty 4)
Concrete Surface Preparation
- Before you start your project, put your dust mask on to avoid inhaling dust and debris
- Sweep any debris from a larger concrete surface
- Clean with an organic degreaser and rinse completely
- Allow the concrete surface to dry completely
- Once your concrete surface is properly cleaned and free of debris, you’re ready to stain
Applying the Portico™ Paver Stain
One of the best parts of a DIY Trial Kit from Direct Colors is just how easy the application process is. But, safety first.
Put your Dust Mask, Goggles, and Safety Gloves on. Portico™ Stain can cause skin irritation, and damage your eyes if used improperly
In your Portico™ Trial Kit, you’ll find 3 Sample Sized Bottles of Portico™ in shades of your choosing. Pick one or a few of your colors (if you choose to mix)
- Portico™ stains may appear milky in the bottle. In order to activate the pigment, shake each bottle vigorously until all of the colorant at the bottom of the bottle has dissolved in the solution. If being used for multiple projects, be sure to shake the bottle again before each use
Apply the Portico™ Stain using the foam application brush. Feel free to dab or brush the stain onto the surface depending on the project or desired effect
- To avoid dripping, apply the antiquing concrete stain to the applicator brush above your testing or project area
Apply the concrete stain in layers until a “wet” consistency is achieved. Now, you’re ready to seal
Sealing the Concrete Surface
You must apply sealer after using Portico stain. If you skip this step, the final color will not show and the stain can be washed off.
- Once the Portico™ Stain has dried, you’re ready to seal the surface. Put your Safety Gloves, Goggles, and Dust Mask back on
In your DIY Trial Kit, you’re able to choose 1 of 2 finish options for concrete sealers
In terms of the finish, the Satin will give you a slightly matte, but beautiful covering that will pop the underlying colorant. High gloss, on the other hand, is a sheer, shiny product that gives the appearance of highly polished stone such as marble. Your choice will depend solely on how you want your concrete surface to look
Once you’ve chosen your sealer, simply cover one of the Foam Application Brushes in the sealer, and spread evenly across the newly colored concrete surface
- Apply in thin layers. Two coats are recommended for sufficient protection from UV rays, moisture and other elements, and foot traffic
- Allow to dry for up to 24 hours.
And you’re done! For more information on concrete staining and to get ideas for your next concrete coloring project, visit our resource center.