Before using the product for your entire project, try it out on a small, hidden area of the surface you'll be working on. This will let you see how it looks and if it's the right fit for your project.
- Cured: Before applying AcquaTint™, ensure that the concrete or concrete overlay is fully cured. For optimum results, a curing period of at least 28 days is recommended. Applying stain to concrete that has not fully cured may lead to unpredictable results in terms of color and adhesion.
- Sound: The surface must be dry and structurally sound. Ensure it is clean and free of dirt, grime, sealer, and any other material that might interfere with the effectiveness of the colored sealer.
- Profiled: Perform an absorption test to check if the concrete is ready for staining. Pour water onto the concrete surface and wait for 3-5 minutes. If the water is not absorbed, the surface will need to be cleaned and etched with CitrusEtch™ to open the pores of the concrete. Detailed instructions can be found in the CitrusEtch™ Technical Data Sheet. If the concrete absorbs the water, it is ready for AcquaTint™ application.
- Clean: Thoroughly clean the surface to remove dust, dirt, oil, grease, paints, glues, sealers, curing agents, stamp tool releases, efflorescence, chemical contaminants, rust, algae, mildew, and other foreign matters that may prevent proper application of the colored sealer.
- Temperature: For best results, apply AcquaTint™ in temperatures ranging from 60°F (15°C) to 95°F (35°C).
- Mixing: Thoroughly mix AcquaTint™ before application. Combine contents from different jugs for uniform color across the project.
- Work Area Planning: Divide the work area into manageable sections, using natural breaks like walls and joints. Control wet edges to reduce overlap marks.
- For Spraying: Use a pump-up sprayer. Ensure all filters are removed to prevent clogging.
- For Rolling: Use a ⅜” nap roller. It's important not to apply too much pressure when rolling. Excessive pressure can lead to streak lines and uneven application. Let the roller do the work, using its own weight for application.
- Application Steps:
- Apply the product evenly. If spraying, use a circular motion. If rolling, use a continuous, thin, overlapping method.
- To maintain consistent color, frequently shake the sprayer or bottle. Before pouring more into the paint tray, ensure the color remains uniform for consistent results when re-dipping the roller.
- For spraying applications, start and stop the sprayer off the work area or into a bucket to prevent drips. Follow up by back rolling to even out any puddles or overlaps.
Drying and Recoating:
- Allow a waiting period of 6 to 12 hours between coats, which may vary depending on environmental conditions.
- Testing Dryness: To check if the surface is ready for the next coat, press it with a thumbnail. If the surface doesn't dent or scratch, it is sufficiently dry for recoating.
- Coat Application: Apply the second coat after confirming the first is completely dry.
- Recommended Coats: For the best performance and durability, it is advised to apply two coats of AcquaTint™.
- Application Caution: Be cautious to avoid heavy application, which can lead to issues such as bubbling, hazing, and other coating imperfections.
- Batch Variability: The supply of specialized pigments may vary between batches. To ensure color consistency, use the same batch for the entire job or mix multiple batches together (“boxing”).
- Surface Characteristics: AcquaTint™ coats the concrete surface with color but does not conceal discolorations, blemishes, cracks, or other surface irregularities. It may accentuate porosity variations and usually appears lighter when dry compared to its wet appearance.
- Surface Compatibility: Hard-troweled surfaces or those with smaller pores than AcquaTint™ particles may encounter issues with the stain drying on the surface without proper adhesion. Consider this during surface preparation.
- Avoid Liquid Contact During Curing: Ensure no liquids, including sweat, come into contact with AcquaTint™ while it is curing, as this can impact both the curing process and the final finish quality.
- Wear and Tear: Like all water-based acrylic sealers, AcquaTint™ is susceptible to surface wear. Its longevity and durability depend on proper application to a suitably prepared surface and will vary based on the volume and type of traffic it endures.
- Exterior / Heavy Traffic Areas: Apply AcquaSeal™ clear water-based sealer topcoat for enhanced durability and environmental protection.
- Interior Surfaces: Use ProWax Polish™ as a topcoat to improve the durability and finish of indoor surfaces.
- Incompatible Topcoats: Do not use EasySeal™ solvent-based sealer over AcquaTint™. As AcquaTint™ is a water-based product, it is not compatible with solvent-based sealers like EasySeal™, which could lead to unsatisfactory results.
- Traffic Topcoat:
- Foot Traffic: Keep the area free from foot traffic for at least 24 hours to allow the topcoat to properly set.
- Vehicle Traffic: Avoid vehicle traffic for 48-72 hours to ensure the sealer fully cures and offers maximum protection.
Estimated coverage is around 200 square feet per gallon, varying with surface conditions and application methods.
For cleaning tools and equipment after using AcquaTint™, use ProClean Degreaser™ and warm water.
Dispose of unused product according to local environmental or hazardous waste regulations.
Shelf Life and Storage
Use AcquaTint™ within one year of purchase and store it in a cool, indoor location away from sunlight and heat.
- Exterior Surfaces: Regularly inspect sealed areas for signs of thinning or wear due to foot or vehicular traffic. Reapply the sealer as needed to maintain protection and appearance.
- Interior Surfaces: Regularly examine surfaces coated with ProWax Polish™ for wear or thinning, especially in high-traffic areas. Reapply the coating as necessary to preserve the surface's integrity and aesthetics.
Safety & Precautions
CAUTION: Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Do not take internally. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water. In case of skin contact, flush thoroughly with water. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call physician immediately. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
AcquaTint™ is guaranteed for uniform quality within manufacturing tolerances. No warranty is provided for its application effects. Liability for defects is limited to refunding the purchase price. Users bear all other risks and liabilities. For inquiries, contact Direct Colors customer service.